Why Green Building?
In this period, when we enter into irreversible ways such as environmental pollution, consumption of natural resources, global warming and thirst, which are the growing problems of the developing world; building sector has made environmental friendly buildings. The fact that the environmentally conscious people were interested in this issue led to the emergence of the so-called ’green building’. Green buildings, which are respectful to nature, reduce ecological, energy consumption and at the same time provide the desired comfort from a classic building, have established a solid place in the construction sector all over the world. While setting the standards for green buildings; The selection, design, innovation of the building where the building will be located, the characteristics of the materials to be used in the structure of the building, the construction of the building, the reuse of waste materials are planned in detail.
Green Building Definition
International definition of green buildings in 2001 is as follows: buildings that help to improve the functioning of the local, national and global ecosystem during and after the construction process …
Another definition comes from Kilbert and Grosskopf; Tedir Green buildings must have five main characteristics. These; integration with the ecosystem, renewable material system, the use of renewable energy and passive design, the best way to ensure the building water cycle, the full implementation of indoor air quality criteria.
Yeşil Binanın Faydaları
- It adds value to city life.
- Improves the quality of buildings.
- Minimizes damage to buildings’ natural surroundings.
- Creates an environment for the use and development of sustainable technologies.
- Ensures the evaluation of waste generated by excavation.
- Purifies the rain water with special technique applied on roofs.
- Reduces the burden of sewage system by the use of rainwater.
- Solar energy is used in the most efficient way possible.
- Energy saving is achieved by preparing the most suitable designs for natural light and ventilation.
- Greenhouse effect is reduced due to surface uses that do not reflect sunlight.
- Oxygen is produced because the surface of the building is as green as possible
- Insulation systems reduce heating – cooling costs and carbon dioxide emissions.
Green Building Construction
Urban Land Institute, stated the construction of Green Building in 10 stages.
- In the first step, taking into account the southern and northern facades of the building where the building will be located, maximum efficiency is obtained from sunlight. In this way, a gain is created for the positioning of the building.
- In the second step, the solar panels are placed in the windows located on the southern facades of the buildings and the angle of arrival of the sun rays is controlled. In this way, more heat than necessary is prevented and electric energy can be produced.
- In the third step, heat insulation is provided by the glass selected according to the sunlight exposed to the building and heat control is provided. A 5% improvement is observed with this application.
- In the fourth step, natural ventilation through the control of the fresh air to be taken into the building; the load of heat systems is reduced and energy is saved. This saves 20%.
- In the fifth step, open space settlements are made according to these plans by maximizing the use of sunlight when designing floor plans.
- Care is taken to ensure that the materials to be used in the sixth step are selected from natural, environmentally friendly, recyclable and sustainable.
- In the seventh step; the area where the building will be located is easily accessible and the use of motor vehicles is minimized. Because of increasing health and efficiency, the amount of carbon dioxide to be released to nature is reduced.
- By placing solar cells at the appropriate points of the building in step eight; maximum use of sunlight. The structures are converted to energy by converting this light into energy. The location of solar cells is roof, façade or parking areas and it is desirable to create shade areas at these points.
- In the ninth step, the focus is on recycling waste generated by buildings. Recyclable materials are used. Materials that are not in danger of exhaustion, easy to access and supplied from the close environment are preferred. All construction materials to be used for building will not affect human health.
- In the tenth step, systems are provided that enable lighting to be used only where necessary, and are disabled if they are not needed. These systems save 10%.
Source: This article has been written by Arzu Bora “A STUDY ON THE PROJECT MANAGEMENT OF GREEN BUILDINGS”.